Monday, August 23, 2010

Playing catch-up


It's taken me a while to update my blog with all of the pictures since Yellowstone and Mount Rushmore but I finally found time to do it. Currently I am all settled in Williamsburg and I am already in love with this town. I had my Assistantship Orientation today, New Student Orientation tomorrow, classes start Wednesday and I have a Program Orientation on Friday. Things are going to get pretty hectic from here on out, but in a good way ( I guess it's been pretty hectic since I left Spokane though).

Getting back to my road trip, we visited the Badlands in SD the next day after visiting Mount Rushmore. Oh my word were there a ton of flying, mating grasshoppers!!! I didn't get a picture of any of them because I was too freaked out. Just picture it in your mind...it was terrifying. But aside from the insects, the view was amazing and we even saw some antelope and a deer! These are the pictures I took, starting with our drive to the Badlands....
















On the way out of the Badlands, we saw a prairie dog petting zoo which was bizarre but so adorable! Did I mention it was right next to the Minuteman Missle National Historic Site? Kind of funny :)

We drove through all of Minnesota and ended up in Onalaska, Wisconsin for the night. Ate dinner at Outback Steakhouse which was directly across from our hotel. Exciting really I know....I got a good laugh when the waiter dropped sauce and said "Man down! No casualties!" That's when you know you have been on the road for too long.

The next morning we drove down through Madison and visited University of Wisconsin-Madison where I found Janio a legitimate cheesehead and some other fun gifts.




Then we drove through part of Illinois and through Indiana, ending up in Springfield, Ohio for the night. Nothing too exciting there either....plus I can't remember much since it's been a while and so much has happened since then. I do remember the next day we drove all the way through Ohio and Pennsylvania, ending up at Chris and Molly's house in Lafayette Hill, PA in Philly. It was really great seeing them (hadn't seen them since the wedding May 09) and seeing their house and kitties for the first time. Molly made dinner and Chris brought the essentials: steak and beer. It was such a good meal to have after all of the fast food we ate on the trip (barf). We spent the night there and the next morning we went to Valley Forge. It was really neat to see the history there and explore a little bit more of Philly.























After Valley Forge we ate lunch of Panera Bread and then Mom and I were off to Grammy's house in Bethesda, MD to spend the night. We got to Grammy's around 4:30 and stayed in for dinner which was nice. I always love visiting Grammy's house and am excited I have more chances to do that now, being so close.


The next morning we had brunch with Grammy and Mom Mom, which is always entertaining and it was great to be able to spend time with both of them. It was a fight to the death for paying the bill between the two, but Grammy won with a smooth move behind Mom Mom's back into the waiter's hands. Nicely done haha. (By the way, best BLT I ever had)



After brunch with Grammy and Mom-Mom, Mom and I drove down to Virginia Beach to stay with Uncle Chris and Aunt Ellie and Cousin Megan. On the way down to Virginia Beach we did a little detour around Williamsburg to see where my place was, which made us late for dinner, but it was nice to see it before the moving chaos began. We stayed with Uncle Chris and Aunt Ellie and Megan for a couple of days until the moving company arrived on Wednesday. We ate dinner with them one night right in front of Virginia Beach. The first picture is Uncle Chris and Aunt Ellie and the second is a picture of my Mom, Megan, myself, and Aunt Ellie afterwards, wind blown hair and humidity at full capacity. I dipped my toes in the Atlantic Ocean and according to Uncle Chris, I am now officially an East Coaster again.




This is a picture on the bridge between Williamsburg and Virginia Beach. A ton of military here, this is one of their ships out on the water. I thought the sky looked pretty :)


This is a picture of my building I will be pretty much living in for the next two years. It just opened in June and the inside is really really nice. All of my classes and my assistantship are held in here, so it is quite convenient. The drive is less than 5 minutes from my place too.

Well, I would love to post pictures of my place, but this blog has taken way longer than I thought it would. I will post them soon. Wish me luck at school!

No comments:

Post a Comment