Thursday, August 12, 2010

On the road again....

After driving away from the convict jailed in Cody, WY, we headed through Shell Canyon and Bighorn Canyon in the Bighorn National Forest getting over 9,000 ft. Very narrow, windy road but very pretty to drive through. We got some pretty good pictures inside and outside the car. We kept a lookout for Bighorn Sheep, but unfortunately didn't see any. We did see a deer, a couple hawks, and cows of course. As we were winding down the mountain, we noticed signs on the sides of the huge rock cliffs that dated the rocks, most going back to the Triassic period and older.

We also drove through towns with population of 180 or less....not sure if I could ever live in a town that small...it's a little eerie.

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but we probably saw 100,000 motorcyclists on our drive over the past couple of days. The Rock N' Rev 5 day Festival in Sturgis was going on with bands like Alice in Chains and Guns N' Roses playing. The motorcyclists were having a cookout in front of all of the hotels too, including ours. I have never seen so many motorcycles, bandanas, beards, and cut-offs in my life! We saw the majority of them driving to Deadwood, which we only got to drive through since every parking lot was full of motorcycles. This was the best picture I could get while driving through town, doesn't really do it justice... I posted a picture below it from a previous Sturgis rally in Deadwood that paints the picture for you...
After driving through Deadwood, we went to see Mount Rushmore. I had never been before, and neither had my Mom, so it was pretty cool to see. Very hot outside too!

After Mount Rushmore we headed to our hotel in Rapid City, SD and grabbed dinner at the local Boston's (had no idea there were any outside of Canada or the Northwest). We treated ourselves to some brownie dessert too...yum!!!

The next morning I saw on the news that they found charred dead bodies in a motel in Rapid City...is death following us?....Will post soon about the Badlands.

1 comment:

  1. Death isn't following you! Don't say stuff like that! You take good pictures of rocks :) I'm still jealous that you get to see all of this without me, hopefully one of these days I can cross all these sights off my bucket list.

    Love you! - Janio

    ReplyDelete